The big game is coming and that means Super Bowl bets will soon be placed. Invites will go out for watch parties, and party hosts will start preparing signature Super Bowl foods to serve.
Since Connecticut is known for its New Haven, Neapolitan-style pizza, pay tribute to the state’s local cuisine by serving delicious pizza nachos at your Super Bowl soiree.
History of pizza in Connecticut
While New York and Chicago try to steal the show when it comes to making these beloved pies, Connecticut residents know pizza got its start in New Haven.
Dating all the way back to the 1920s, neighborhoods in the city saw a lot of southern-Italian immigrants and became ground zero for the signature New Haven style “apizza”.
The pronunciation is still used today in New Haven, which is a nod to the Naples dialect.
How is New Haven pizza unique?
New Haven pizza has a few defining characteristics, including its thin, oblong-shaped, charred crust that’s baked in a coal-fired oven. The crust is chewy instead of crispy, thanks in large part to the long fermentation process of the dough.
Originally, New Haven pizzas were topped only with homemade marinara, so mozzarella cheese, called “mootz” by many New Haven pizza parlors, is considered a topping and must be asked for. The cheese isn’t the star of the show for these pizzas, so it’s used much more lightly on the pie than other pizza versions.
Pizza Nachos Recipe
For a signature Connecticut spin on a game day favorite, try these Pizza Nachos. You can substitute whatever pizza toppings are your favorite, but we chose “supreme” toppings like green peppers, onions, black olives, and mini pepperoni.
Tools you’ll need
- 1 baking sheet
- Aluminum foil
- 2 cups pizza sauce
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ½ cup green bell peppers, diced
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 1 cup mini pepperoni
- ½ cup black olives, sliced
- Parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- 1 bag of your favorite tortilla chips
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line your baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Spread half of the tortilla chips onto the lined baking sheet.
- Drizzle 1 cup of pizza sauce onto the chips.
- Sprinkle half of the mozzarella cheese onto the chips.
- Add half of the remaining toppings to the chips.
- Spread a second layer of chips on top of the toppings and repeat the layering process.
- Bake the pizza nachos for about 15 minutes until the cheese melts.
- Remove from the oven and add parsley as a garnish.
- Serve while still hot.
Super Bowl game day comes with a lot of fun, anticipation, and comradery, but a Super Bowl party has to come with tasty snacks. Traditional foods served on game day include pizza, chips and salsa, fried appetizers, and of course, nachos.
If you want to combine your love for pizza and nachos, or if it sounds like fun to give a nod to Connecticut pizza culture at your Super Bowl party, try these pizza nachos and give your guests the best of both worlds.