Legal online gambling launched in Connecticut in October 2021, and there are two online casinos operating in the state. We’ve got details below for these new online casinos for Connecticut players. If you want to stay ahead of the curve on casino games in Connecticut, read on.
Brand new online casinos in CT for August 2022
Best new online casinos in Connecticut
Mohegan Sun Casino (FanDuel)
FanDuel has teamed up with the Mohegan Sun casino, located not far from Foxwoods outside Norwich. While FanDuel’s CT sports betting platform will be familiar to anyone who has used it in other states, the online casino is a little different.
Instead of FanDuel’s regular casino, it uses the Mohegan Sun name in a joint venture between the two.
There are hundreds of games on the menu at Mohegan Sun, including online slots, blackjack, roulette and other casino games, as well as multiple progressive jackpots.
Mohegan Sun’s welcome bonus is good, too. You can receive a refund for any net losses in the first 24 hours of playing on the site, up to a value of $1,000. The refund will arrive in the form of site credits that you can use to bet again.
Mohegan Sun’s online casino is ideal for players who also spend time at the real casino. It’s very convenient to make instant deposits and withdrawals from your account in person, and you can even win real in-person prizes based on your gambling online.
DraftKings operates in Connecticut in partnership with Foxwoods Resort Casino, owned by the Mashantucket Pequot Tribal Nation in the south of the state. The resort is huge, with six separate casinos offering thousands of slot machines and hundreds of table games, including the popular card game blackjack.
DraftKings’ online casino is equally impressive. It has around 700 games on the menu in some states where it operates, including hundreds of online slot machines and multiple table games. There’s also bingo, keno, variety games, virtual sports and more. It even has exclusive games designed especially for the site that you won’t find elsewhere.
If you sign up at DraftKings Casino as a new customer, you can claim a 100% deposit bonus of up to $2,000. Even with a 15x wagering requirement, it’s a very tempting offer to join one of the best online casinos in the US.
What about PlaySugarHouse or other future casinos?
Connecticut also has a third online sportsbook — PlaySugarHouse partnered with the Connecticut Lottery to operate its online sportsbook in the state. However, Connecticut law only allows for the state’s two federally recognized Native American tribes to offer online casinos.
This means that, at the moment, PlaySugarHouse and other online casinos cannot offer real money casino games in the state.
New promos at CT online casinos — updated August 2022
The best online casinos are well aware of the importance of keeping their promos fresh. New casino bonuses and offers attract new players and keep existing ones happy.
We’ve already covered the available welcome bonuses, but below you can see some of the additional promos you might find on both DraftKings and Mohegan Sun.
DraftKings CT promos
- Refer a friend — Invite your friend to sign up to DraftKings, and both of you can receive $100 in site credits to bet however you like.
- Dynasty Rewards — DraftKings’ casino rewards program allows you to collect loyalty crowns every time you bet, which you can redeem for anything from free bets to merchandise and other perks.
- Jackpot leaderboards — Play specially selected games for a chance to claim a share of a jackpot.
Mohegan Sun CT promos
- Game of the week — Simply wager a total of $50 on the selected game and you’ll receive a $5 free bet.
- Risk-Free Wednesdays — Claim up to $10 back on any losses on table games on Wednesday.
- Risk-Free Fortune Coin — Claim up to $20 on losses from playing Fortune Coin on Thursdays
Newest online casino games in CT
Both DraftKings and Mohegan Sun (FanDuel Casino) will frequently update their game menus. Both have deals to host games from some of the top software providers, like NetEnt and Evolution.
Staying ahead of the software game is all about staying fresh and coming up with innovative new games, and DraftKings and FanDuel have well-deserved reputations for facilitating that. Here are some of the latest releases at each:
- Book of Slingo
- Druid’s Dream
- Fortune Rush
- Get Hot
- Gods of Gold INFINIREELS
- Irish Pot Luck
- Lady of the Dead Deluxe
- Mega Joker
- Money Inferno
- Mythic Maiden
- Ocean’s Treasure
- Rage of the Seas
- Robin Hood: Shifting Riches
- Roller Wheel Jungle Roll
- Sky Dragons
- Slingo Fishin’ Frenzy
- Slingo Sweet Bonanza
- Star Chase
- Sugar Surge
- Amazon Gold
- Arabian Fire
- Big Thunder Quad Shot
Mohegan Sun (FanDuel)
- Joe Exotic
- 5 Treasures
- Blackjack Blazing 7s
- Dancing Drums
- Dancing Drums Explosion
- Fu Dao Lae
- Lock It Link Night Life
- Quick Hit Ultra Pays — Sun Dragon
- Ultimate Texas Hold’em
Benefits of playing at new online casino sites
Residents of Connecticut have been lucky in that they already have excellent access to casino games right there in their own state. While many people travel across the country for holidays at casino resorts, Foxwoods and Mohegan Sun have been entertaining people for more than 30 years.
That said, online gambling is genuinely a game-changer. We’ve collected some of our favorite reasons for choosing an online casino over heading to a brick-and-mortar venue.
- Convenience and accessibility — It’s tough to overstate just how easy it is to play online, especially now given the prevalence of casino apps. Anyone in Connecticut who wants can effectively now have their own personal casino in their pocket at all times. Now, we totally agree that part of the fun of going to a casino involves getting dressed up, soaking up the atmosphere, meeting other people and so on — and playing online can’t quite match that. But in terms of sheer convenience, it’s a no-brainer.
- Lower stakes, more games — You typically get way more options at online casinos compared with the real thing, and you’re more likely to find all the games you’re looking for under one (virtual) roof online. Playing online means you’ll never need to wait around for a free space to open up at a table with your preferred stakes. In fact, online is much more friendly to lower-stakes players in general, with micro-stake options that just don’t exist IRL.
- Casino bonuses and promos — Try walking into a cage at a physical casino, handing over $500 and expecting to receive $1,000 worth of chips in return. It’s not going to happen. But Connecticut online casinos offer a variety of free bets and bonus cash to customers. The best you’ll get at most real casinos is a free drink.
- Play for free — Again, try sitting down at a blackjack table and announcing you want to play a few hands with play money. You’ll be removed pretty quickly. But many online casinos let you play the majority of their games for free in demo mode. It means you can experiment with all kinds of games without worrying about losing any money. These offers may even include free spins casino bonuses.
How to choose a new online casino in Connecticut
Below we’ve collected some of the key factors to consider when you’re deciding which casino to join. You can think of it as a checklist — make sure your choice has what you’re looking for.
- Games — It’s an obvious place to start, but you need to make sure that the range of games in your casino corresponds to your personal taste. For example, if you love blackjack there’s not much point in signing up to a casino with just a couple of blackjack titles. Likewise for online roulette variations. Think about what games you value and make sure they’re available.
- Bonuses and promotions — Every casino has a welcome bonus for new players, but not many people realize that the best offer depends on how you’re going to play. Some people love no deposit bonuses, where you get a small amount of bonus cash for free when you create your account. It means you get to play real money games with no financial risk and is perfect for testing a casino before deciding whether to spend some of your own cash. On the other hand, higher-stakes players are less likely to be bothered with $10 in bonus cash. Always read bonus terms and conditions carefully, and figure out which ones work for you.
- Banking methods — Make sure there is a convenient way for you to deposit and withdraw your cash. Bank cards, bank transfers, PayPal, e-wallets, PayNearMe — all are common options at Connecticut casinos.
- Mobile access — Both the casinos in Connecticut have apps compatible with both iOS and Android, so you’re pretty well covered here. But it’s something to keep in mind in general.
- Security and customer support — Speaking in general terms, you should always make sure you’re playing on a licensed and regulated site. Any of the casinos you’ll find on this page are legal. Customer support is also important. We like online live chat best, where you can more or less get instant answers.
- Sports betting — Both of the online casinos in Connecticut are also affiliated with online sportsbooks.
History of online gambling in CT
In-person gambling has been popular in Connecticut for decades, thanks to the two huge casino resorts of Mohegan Sun and Foxwoods. Both are located on federally recognized tribal reservations and have been legally hosting various types of gambling since as far back as the 1980s.
Both have also expanded considerably over the years, and today the two complexes are among the largest and most lavish on the East Coast, counting high-end retail, concert and sporting venues, and luxury hotels and spas along with their gambling options.
Online gambling is a much more recent arrival to Connecticut.
Until 2018, online sports betting in nearly every state was subject to a nationwide federal ban, thanks to a bill called the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act. The US Supreme Court finally struck down PASPA in 2018, paving the way for each state to decide its own sports betting laws. Many didn’t need to be asked twice, with the likes of New Jersey and Pennsylvania legalizing betting that same year and a steady stream of other states following suit. Some also legalized online casino gambling at the same time.
Connecticut took a slightly more considered approach. Lawmakers in the state and Gov. Ned Lamont were interested in legalizing sports betting, but they were less sure about online casino gambling. Protracted negotiations between the state and the two Native American tribes took place over online gambling in the state, including tax rates.
Eventually, the parties reached an agreement. The two tribes would have exclusive rights to online casino games but would share sports betting rights with the Connecticut Lottery so that non-tribal sportsbooks could exist in the state. Finally, in October 2021, online gambling officially launched in Connecticut.
Is online gambling legal in Connecticut?
Yes. Online gambling and sports betting became legal in Connecticut in October 2021. All sites must have a partnership with a physical entity in the state and have a valid license from the state’s regulatory body.
What are the latest online casinos in Connecticut?
DraftKings and Mohegan Sun (in partnership with FanDuel) are the two legal online casinos in Connecticut. PlaySugarHouse has launched a sportsbook, but it does not include online casino gambling.
How often do new games appear at Connecticut casinos?
Both DraftKings and FanDuel have deals with some of the top software providers in the world, including the likes of NetEnt and Evolution. Both casinos update their catalogs frequently to reflect the latest releases.
Are there new casino bonuses available in Connecticut?
Yes. All the casinos and sportsbooks in Connecticut have welcome bonuses for new members, as well as ongoing promotions for existing players that update regularly.